Monday, July 1, 2013

The Getty and Getty Villa

Within a weeks period we were able to go to the Getty and the Getty Villa, both free and both very inspiring. The kids and I began this year knowing very little about art and music and while we still have much to learn we now have a good base and a true appreciation for truth, goodness, and beauty. I even overheard Anna defending classical music to a friend recently. Shhhhhh, don't tell her.

The Getty had Woman Reading a Letter  by Vermeer on loan and we had just finished listening to a book about Vermeer so we were all super excited to go see it in person. Well, mostly I was super excited and everyone else was happy to go along, but we all loved the experience. 

These were Alahna's favorite pieces.

Anna's favorite piece from Jaques Louis David, I think?

The kids each had a booklet of certain pieces they were supposed to find. Here is Robert with his book and a piece from Turner that he found.

Alahna, Anna, and William listening to one of the audio tours. At times I found these very enriching and at other times they just seemed to be a distraction. I'm not sure I would recommend it with little kids.
A few days later, at the Getty Villa, the girls attended a Roman Antiquities class and the boys and I meandered through at a very slow pace. We spent most of our time in the children's room where the boys did shadow plays and colored on vases.  At the end of their class the girls' instructor talked to me and told me how impressed he was with their knowledge of the antiquities. (Inside my head I was jumping up and down pumping my fist!)  He also teaches several Shakespeare acting classes and inquired why they haven't attended any. Can you guess what they will be signing up for this coming year? 

Fun with Shadows!

More fun with shadows. They wanted to make sure I got good pictures so they kept posing and then coming out to check the picture and then reposing. So cute!

William loved drawing on the vases.

William-The Vetruvian Man, Alahna-Venus de Milo, Anna-The Thinker, Robert-David

2 comments:

  1. Great field trip! I'd love to visit the Villa one of these days. It's always fun to see your blog and what you are up to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda! I have never been so behind on blogging before! But it has been fun to review the school year this way!

    ReplyDelete