Monday, July 1, 2013

Mozart, Orchestras, and Opera Singers

I am trying to get a little caught up on things. They will not be in chronological order, or order of importance, or any other order for that matter. Why? Because I'm nutty like that.

When we started learning about the classical period we met Mozart, built a mock orchestra, and then spent a couple of hours with professional opera singers learning about what life is like in the opera. We even learned some warm-up exercises and a song from the opera Hansel and Gretel. Later we watched a version of the opera. It was in English and not very good, in my opinion. I have found I prefer them in their original tongue. Until this year we had never experienced an opera. Now Anna has seen 2 live, Alahna and I have seen one live (It was incredible!), and we have all seen several on DVD. Mozart's The Magic Flute was my favorite  because William made me read every single word. He didn't want to miss a thing!

Our mock orchestra. 

The kids and Mozart. Wasn't it nice of him to return from the grave just to meet our school group!

Singing the Children's Chorus from Humperdink's Hansel and Gretel

No comments:

Post a Comment