Friday, December 10, 2010

Columns

When we first started learning about Greek architecture we talked about the columns that they used and did this experiment to see how strong a column is. The best columns we had were toilet paper rolls so that's what we went with.
First we started with one unsupported column with no reinforcement. We were able to stack a few books on it before it tipped, but it never collapsed.


Then we moved on to one column reinforced with some support. The results were only slightly better.

Then we moved on to six columns. This is when things got fun! 

We ran out of books, ones that I was willing to bring outside anyway, before anything happened. 

So we moved on to people! With no problems!

Alahna was a little nervous. Somehow I didn't get a picture of Anna, but she was definitely not nervous, but made us nervous as she was dancing on top of our little structure.

Then I got on, then Alahna handed me William, then She handed me Robert (no picture of that either) and our structure hadn't budged.  Then for our final test Anna and I stood on it together. We lost out balance and  tipped the thing over, but the columns never collapsed as we thought they would!

We also brought out the scale and weighed everything and did some math with it, but I don't remember the numbers and don't feel like finding them in my notebook. So use you imagination.

All in all it was a fun day for our little school!


No comments:

Post a Comment